Consider a preconceived perception you have about someone who comes from a different background. The differences can include regional, ethnic, class, values, beliefs, gender, or even generational factors. Review Shockley-Zalabak’s (2015) explanation of valuing diversity on pages 170-173, and explain which barrier(s) to valuing diversity you could apply to better understand and appreciate the contributions that this personï¿½s differences can make. In your discussion, answer the following questions:
- What preconceived ideas do I have about this person?
- What is the source of those preconceptions?
- How do my preconceptions facilitate or impede communication attempts with this person?
- What personal communication habits (verbal or nonverbal) do I portray that this person may not understand?
- How did I, or can I, overcome barriers and create genuine communication between us and in the organization as a whole?
Your response should be at least 200 words in length. Support your ideas with content from the textbook or other credible source. Use APA style citations to show paraphrased or quoted content that corresponds to an APA style reference.
Describe your role within an organization, and explain how you communicate with members at various levels. What can you do to improve your interpersonal relationships within this organization? Use concepts from Chapter 5 in the course textbook to support your answer.
Your response should be at least 200 words in length. Support your ideas with content from the textbook and use APA style citations to show paraphrased or quoted content that corresponds to an APA style reference.